All of the workshop software is included on the USB flash drives handed out to participants. We will be running Ubuntu Linux through VirtualBox.
Using a Virtual Machine (VM)
- Install VirtualBox. Installers for Windows and Mac are included on the flash drive in the “VirtualBox” folder. Please also install the VirtualBox Extension Pack.
- Copy the file “VirtualBox/WME_Ubuntu.zip” to your hard drive.
- Uncompress the file “WME_Ubuntu.zip” on your hard drive.
- Open “Workshop on Molecular Evolution.vbox” with VirtualBox.
- Your username and password are both “workshop”.
If the above procedure does not work or you wish to use your own virtualization software, you may follow the steps below:
- Open your favorite virtualization program (VirtualBox, VMware, etc.).
- Install a clean copy of Ubuntu 12.10 via the image found on the flash drive in “Ubuntu Linux/image/ubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64.iso”.
- Follow the instructions in the Linux Installation section, starting with step 4.
Using the Amazon Cloud
(open linked pdf for instructions)